eDiagnostic Learning offers specific online evaluations to assess adults for dyslexia.
Dyslexia is a reading disorder that is characterized by struggles with accurate and/or fluent word recognition, poor spelling, and decoding abilities.
These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language. The reading difficulties experienced by an individual with dyslexia are unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities.
The symptoms of dyslexia can look much different in an adult than in a child. Oftentimes, adults have developed compensatory strategies that may mask some of the more basic symptoms.
Primary Characteristics of Dyslexia
- Difficulty accurately decoding unfamiliar words
- Difficulty with oral reading (slow, inaccurate, or labored)
- Difficulty spelling
- Difficulty reading words in isolation
- Math skills in the average range
- Difficulty with written composition
- Family history of similar problems
- Difficulty learning the names of the letters and their associated sounds.
Common symptoms or characteristics of dyslexia in adults include:
- Difficulty reading unfamiliar fonts
- Avoids reading out loud. May dislike public speaking
- Will commonly perceive that they “read better silently”
- Has poor or inconsistent/phonetic spelling
- Reading fluency and comprehension fluctuates depending upon subject matter
- Frequently has to re-read sentences in order to comprehend
- Fatigues or becomes bored quickly while reading
- Reliance on others (assistants, spouses, significant others) for written correspondence
- Uncertainty with words, punctuation, and spelling when writing. Reliance on spell-check and grammar-check
- Words out of context look “wrong”
- Poor handwriting – masks spelling mistakes
Once evaluated, we will use the findings of the assessment to make relevant recommendations for both work and home.
Call today for more information about how we assess and diagnose dyslexia online.
eDiagnostic Learning Services has been assessing adults and children since 2004. Call today to see how we can help!